The Aerospike Database data distribution system is designed for applications that must be available 24/7 at all times. This has several implications:
- Automatic data location detection:
- The Aerospike client automatically detects data location and handles requests in a single hop. Your application can treat the database as if were stored on a single server. The Aerospike smart client handles cluster distribution.
- Automatic cluster balancing:
- When adding capacity, simply add a node to the cluster and the cluster re-balances to include the new node. Throughput and performance scale linearly as you add capacity.
- No single point of failure:
- An SSD on a node can fail, a node can fail or be taken offline for maintenance or upgrades, or the entire datacenter can fail without affecting reliability.
Aerospike manages clusters with the following features:
- Data Distribution: Robust partitioning ensures uniform data distribution, which avoids hot spots and automatically balances data without manual intervention.
- Clustering: The Aerospike clustered database automatically detects failures and heals.
- Replication: This Aerospike feature includes the following replication abilities to avoid a single point of failure: